Friday, September 17, 2010

Want what you have

The key to happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have.

Or so they say.

I'm working on it.

I am such an ill content person these days. It seems that nothing is ever good enough lately. Sure, it doesn't help that my son is teething like a bear and driving us both bonkers, we have all been sick and a number of other things, but still.

I have been given a lot of blessings and I need to acknowledge them.

Especially in this season.

This is the season of the fall festivals in the Bible. During this time we celebrate Yom Teruah (the day of blowing trumpets), Yom Kippur (the day of atonement) and Sukkot (the feast of booths). Each of these has so much meaning and depth to them that I could not possibly write enough about them. I could not attempt to explain them in fair detail here. Let it suffice to say this: during Yom Teruah we spend the day blowing trumpets as the Hebrews did in the past. The sound of the shofar was to awaken the people to battle that was coming and basically say, "it's time, get ready." During Yom Teruah we blow shofars (ram's horn) today for a similar meaning on this time it is an awakening to Yom Kippur be around the corner. In essence we are saying, "wake up! The day of atonement is on it's way! Be prepared and repent you sins, God is coming to bring judgment for the year to come and to atone for your sins."

The days in between the two are called the days of awe. These 10 days we repent of our sins, ask for forgiveness and turn back to God. It is a time of preparation. Yom Kippur is the most solemn day in the Hebrew calendar. On this day, we fast and lament our sins before God. We acknowledge our wretchedness and total dependence on Him. In Messianic circles we also give thanks to Jesus who has once and for all time saved us from our sins. It is an important day and it is believed that it is the one day of the year that God decides our next year of life: whether it will be filled with blessing or curses.

Following Yom Kippur we have Sukkot, my favorite of them all. It is a time where families build sukkahs (basically a temporary building in the back yard designed for eating in with an open roof to see the stars) and enjoy hospitality. We celebrate that God dwells with us. We celebrate a great harvest with food. In Messianic circles we celebrate the birth of Christ as well (perfect to do in a holiday about God dwelling with us). Sukkot lasts for 8 days and in those days we are commanded biblically to rejoice. It's a wonderful time.

Now that is a VERY abbreviated description of the fall holy days but it gives you the gist. This is an important season for self reflection, gratitude, and repentance. In my own reflections I have discovered that this year my greatest sin seems to be a mixture of arrogance, selfishness and lack of thanksgiving. I have not been wanting what I have and therefore I have been unhappy. Ironically as much as I already dislike the toddler phase, I have been very much acting like a toddler this year. Whining when i don't get what I want, getting angry when I don't understand something, frustrated by the fences in my life that keep me from wandering into danger, etc.

May God forgive me for not acknowledging my blessings! I really need to refocus and look at my life through heaven's eyes. I have been given so much. Though this year has very much been a season of valleys for me I am hoping and praying for better days to come. Valleys are seasons of preparation and training. I hope that I have gained enough to move forward. I so want to spend the next year rejoicing with God and my family. Wanting what I have and being content in every situation.

May you and yours be inscribed in the book of Life!

No comments:

Post a Comment