Monday, September 27, 2010

Global Impact

I am passionately green. I know that is taboo is some circles, but being a tree loving hippie is not a bad thing. It's not earth worship to protect the planet that God has given us, it's good stewardship.

I have been reading about deforeststation in this week's edition of The Economist www.economist.com/node/17062713 . It is heart wrenching to me. I think that having a global perspective is essential to being an actualized human being. Caring about the well being of others, the planet and our future is something we should all do.

This article got me to thinking about the little things we can all do to make a BIG difference. If we could learn to let go of some of our luxuries in life and live simply the world would be a much better place. Giving up meat for example makes a HUGE impact on everyone and everything.

Consider, if we stopped eating cows what a difference it would make! Cows need to grow to a large size in order to be slaughtered and made into edible meats for profit. To grow they need food, namely corn in the US. Though not at all their natural diet, cows are fed corn now. In order to have enough corn to feed said cows, acre upon acre of land is used for agriculture. Land that could other wise be in a natural state such as a forest or wetland. These cows give off methane, a powerful green house gas that leads to global warming (sorry folks but to say global warming is a myth is equivalent to saying water doesn't quench thirst). Raising a cow not only involves the land the animal occupies but the land that all of its food comes from, the water the animal drinks and the water the crops need to grow, fertilizers for the crops, pesticides, the antibiotics injected into the animal to make it suitable for consumption after living in it's own feces, etc. Making a cow into meat involves so called "farms" transporting the animal to a slaughter house (carbon emissions), where they are inhumanely butchered, processed and packaged for sale, all of which pollutes the environment. All for our precious beef which is in fact toxic to our health anyway.

Contrast that with eating a natural vegetarian diet. Or better yet an organic vegetarian diet. No pesticides, unnatural fertilizers, methane, fewer carbon emissions, and natural whole foods in their original state. I'd rather have that!

Reading about the devastation deforestation is causing reminds me of this. One seemingly small and distant thing that impacts millions, everyday life and every person on the planet.

It's a terrible battle between our growing population, need for food, need for jobs, and maintaining a planet that is slowly dying because of our negligence. For hundreds of years we have devastated this planet and it's only going to get worse if we don't wake up and make some changes.

I for one want to be able to tell my grandchildren that I did everything I could to help them have a beautiful home. If you need inspiration I highly suggest getting a copy of the dvd series, Planet Earth. It's extraordinary and will change how you see our planet.

My hubby and I are also passionate about kids. Did you know that for slightly over $1 a day you can feed, clothe, educated, shelter and provide for spiritual teaching to a child? It's amazing. If Americans gave up their daily coffee they could support 3 kids a month for the same money. If we gave up our cable tv 4 more kids would not starve to death or die of preventable illnesses. Our silly conveniences that take away our resources that could be put to better use. If you feel convicted in this I encourage you to check out World Vision. They are a wonderful ministry helping kids all over the world. Please take the time to think about it. The selfishness of mankind will no doubt we our downfall.

Next on the topics to come: women's rights

Yes, I am a tree hugger, hippie, cloth diapering mama, women's right activist, member of PETA, avid feminist and most importantly lover of Jesus. It really does all go together, I promise :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment