Sunday, September 5, 2010

Toddler

My son is officially a toddler. Jeff called him a toddler yesterday so that makes it official. I can't think of him as anything but my baby but if my hubby can then it must be so.

Toddlers are very funny people. Jabbering constantly though no one really understands what they are saying. Walking everywhere and no where in particular. Terrorizing every innocent home we should happen to be visiting. Pointing at everything. Asserting that everything they see is in fact theirs and always has been. And yet still very baby like in their need to be held, cared for, kissed after owies, ets. I love my growing boy. Each day with him is a whole new adventure.

On his list of words, J can now say consistently:
mama
dada
nana (banana)
dog
cat
meow
baby
ball

Beats the crap out of the 1-3 words 1 year old are supposed to know! My little genius :-)

My toddler has recently decided that diaper changes lack dignity and he does not want to participate willingly in them any more. The typical change goes something like this:
Me: Ok time to change your nappies
Judah shakes his head no
I lay him on the changing table
Judah screams, arches his back and attempts to roll off
I calmly roll him over and say, "It's just a diaper change it's ok."
I get the dirty cloth diaper off just in time for my now half naked son to roll over and stand up on the changing table.
So I grab him and put him the the crib where he is delighted to be naked and free
I take care of the diaper and get a new one ready.
I lay him down and he flips over. This happens about 3-4 times before I actually get the diaper on him.
Then I get him out of the crib and let him walk around him room while I attempt to get his shorts back on before he has time to take the clean diaper off again.

Good times.

Another toddler change is his suddenly very strong opinion on everything. He has taken to tasting everything we put him front of him by either licking it first or putting it in this mouth only to spit it out. Or he will refuse to eat his meals but 10 minutes later walks over to the high chair and eats the discarded food off the chair and surrounding floor (don't worry there's a tarp under him). If we hand him the wrong toy he lets us know by snorting in anger. If he wants to be carried, not pushed in the stroller he throws a fit. Just a few examples. I know it is a season of asserting independence and testing boundaries so consistency is now my best friend.

Life as I knew it is now in constantly metamorphosis. No day will ever be boring again! Especially if Jeff gets his way and we end up with another little one in the next year or so.

Todays adventure: Taste of Colorado in downtown Denver. We'll see how that one goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment