Saturday, November 12, 2011

I feel fat and self-love

The thing I hate about having babies is the post-partum body. I can tolerate sleep deprivation, crying, poopy diapers, looking haggard, etc. but I loathe the way my body looks right now.

With both pregnancies I gained more weight that I should have. I admit it. The first time I didn't really care and just packed on the pounds. This recent one though I genuinely tried to eat well and be active. I ran 3 miles 4-6times a week until I was 30 weeks along. I ate reasonably healthy and yet managed to pack on 37 pounds. "They" say the average woman should gain 25-30 so I'm not that much above recommendations but still.

At this point I am down about 20lbs; 8 of which were my baby. So that means another 17 to go... ugh. I'm not supposed to really exercise for another 4 weeks beyond walking. I'm trying to not over eat, but even that is difficult with breastfeeding. In theory I should be able to lose while nursing but I'm also paranoid about doing anything to hurt my supply with such a tiny baby. So no dieting, no exercise.

No clothes that fit. I hate maternity jeans. My shirts are all too small to accommodate my extra large boobs (milk adds about 2.5 cup sizes), my pants are too tight. Blech.

I hate it. HATE it. I've spent too many years feeling self-conscious thanks to those nasty people growing up who told me I was fat and ugly all the time. To this day I have very little grace for myself when it comes to how my body looks and feels. I had a baby 2.5 weeks ago and the evil voices are already raking me across the coals.

I have been reading a wonderful book called Blue Like Jazz. It's fabulous. I've really enjoyed it. One of the major points I have taken away from it was from the chapter on self love. The author applied the scripture "love your neighbor as you love yourself" in an entirely new way for me. Rather than focusing on how we treat others he applied it to how we treat ourselves. Would you say the things you tell yourself to your neighbor or friend? I can honestly say I never would.

I would never call my neighbor fat. I would never expect my neighbor to have a perfect body, especially after giving birth. I would never tell my neighbor their hair looks ridiculous and makes their face look fat. I'd never tell my neighbor they look awful or nickname my neighbor Ms. Jiggles.

In this case I certainly love my neighbor more than I love myself. Really though, is it possible to love others and hate yourself? How can we give love if we cannot receive it?

The bible says that God makes beautiful things out of dust, He makes everything glorious, that He makes everything new. So what does that make me? According to my incredible Father I am precious, beautiful with infinite value. I am worth dying for. If God views me this way, who am I to question the one who made the heavens and the earth? The only opinion that matters is His.

So fat and all I am going to try to embrace myself and my body. This, like everything, is temporary. I got a beautiful baby boy out of it all. He is totally worth every mile I will have to run to get back to "normal." He makes me feel beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. Can I just say I LOVE this whole post. Thanks for being so honest! You are amazing and beautiful and who cares what "they" say you should gain. You looked stunning through the end of your pregnancy and you should be so proud of yourself for working so hard and exercising as late in pregnancy as you did! Kudos to you!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete